Do you enjoy fresh-off-the-vine tomatoes, leafy greens or root vegetables? You don’t need a lot of space or expert know-how to grow a successful vegetable garden.
Choose a location that gets a full day of sunlight. If possible, plant tall crops (like pole beans on a trellis) to the north so they don’t shade shorter plants.
Use up all those garden veggies in this delicious chicken and garden vegetable skillet. Your family will love this healthy 30-minute skillet dinner full of seasoned chicken, sauteed vegetables, and a cheesy breadcrumb topping.
This recipe is good for a meal any night of the week! I love a good skillet dinner that’s easy to make for my family. Try more of our favorite skillet dinners like this Salisbury steak, my Italian sausage skillet dinner, or this yummy cajun shrimp recipe. They are all bursting with savory flavors that are perfect for dinnertime!
Chicken and Garden Vegetable Skillet
It’s so rewarding to make a fresh and healthy dinner using vegetables right from the garden. This 30-minute skillet recipe is packed with colorful veggies, tender chicken, and a crispy breadcrumb topping. It doesn’t get any easier than this perfect summer dinner made all in the same skillet. It’s ready to enjoy in 30 minutes and you’re family will love it!
You don’t have to have a garden to make this delicious recipe. It’s fun to have access to fresh vegetables, but these vegetables can be found at any grocery store. I have lots of recipes using garden vegetables. Use up all those bell peppers with these stuffed peppers. Or if you want something sweet, make zucchini bread, or zucchini cake!
If you’re lucky to have your own garden, this recipe is a no-brainer! No garden? No problem! Stop at the local farmers market or grocery store for the veggies you want then you’re all set. This recipe is so versatile because you can switch up the vegetables and protein. I just use what I have on hand and it always is so tasty! Follow the instructions below on the recipe card to make this chicken and garden vegetable skillet.
- Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Olive Oil: For cooking the chicken and veggies. It will also be used later for the breadcrumb topping.
- Italian Seasoning: The perfect seasoning for this dish!
- Garlic Powder: Adds delicious garlic flavor.
- Paprika: A little kick of spice for the chicken.
- Kosher Salt: Season to taste.
- Black Pepper: Season to taste.
- Zucchini: Cut the zucchini into half-moon shapes.
- Yellow Squash: Small yellow squash cut into half-moon shapes, but any shape will do!
- Red Onion: Added flavor and color to this delicious skillet dinner.
- Cherry Tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes soften and burst with flavor in every bite.
- Panko Breadcrumbs: I love panko breadcrumbs because of the texture it adds to recipes.
- Parmesan Cheese: Salty and cheesy parmesan cheese pairs perfectly with the panko.
Let’s Make the Best Chicken and Garden Vegetable Skillet
In just 30 minutes you can make this easy skillet dinner! One and done! This one-skillet recipe is a breeze because it makes cleanup easy. No one wants to spend time doing dishes after dinner. I also love this recipe because you can make it with any veggies you have on hand. It is such a versatile recipe and I can’t wait for you to try it! Follow the recipe card below for step-by-step instructions.
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season the Chicken: Add the chicken to a large bowl. Season with Italian seasonings, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper then toss to coat the chicken.
- Cook the Chicken: Heat a large oven-safe skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes or until no longer pink. Set the chicken aside.
- Cook the Vegetables: Returning to the same skillet, add the green and yellow zucchini, red onion, and tomatoes. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the Chicken to the Skillet: Add the cooked chicken back to the skillet. Stir to combine the vegetables and chicken.
- Combine the Panko, Parmesan Cheese, and Olive Oil: Add the Panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and olive oil to a medium bowl then stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the Breadcrumb Topping Over the Skillet Mixture: Sprinkle evenly over the chicken and vegetables.
- Cook the Topping: Place the skillet in the oven for 5 minutes to crisp up the topping and melt the cheese.
- Enjoy: Remove the skillet from the oven. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed then enjoy!
This dish is divine on its own, but you can serve it in several different ways. It’s very customizable. Here are a few ideas to switch up this 30-minute skillet recipe. It’s easy to use what you have on hand. I promise it will turn out and be delicious however you make it. Have fun with it!
- Switch Out the Protein: Replace the chicken with shrimp or pork! These vegetables would be so yummy with any protein you want to use. You could also leave out the chicken if you are vegetarian.
- Use Different Seasonings: Season this dish with any of your favorite spices. Any dried herbs would be delicious, but you can make it spicy too with red pepper flakes. I love adding a little spice!
- Vegetable Options: I say garden vegetables, but really any veggies will work. You could use broccoli, eggplant, or peppers to name a few ideas.
- Toppings Ideas: Panko breadcrumbs are my favorite, but regular or Italian breadcrumbs are great substitutes. You could even use crushed Ritz crackers when you’re in a bind.
- Serve Over Rice or Pasta: Make this dish more filling by serving it over the rice or pasta of your choosing. I LOVE this recipe served over wild rice!
This chicken and vegetable skillet recipe is best served fresh for that amazing, tender texture. However, leftovers can be stored and enjoyed for a few days after cooking. It makes a great lunch for the next day! Here are my tips below for storing and reheating leftovers.
- In the Refrigerator: Stored properly in an airtight container, leftovers will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheating: I recommend reheating in the microwave until warmed through. You can also reheat it in the air fryer for a few minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. I prefer it in the air fryer because it makes the topping crispy again!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Add the chicken to a large bowl. Season with Italian seasonings, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper then toss to coat the chicken.
Heat a large oven-safe skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes or until no longer pink. Set the chicken aside.
Returning to the same skillet, add the green and yellow zucchini, red onion, and tomatoes. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables start to soften.
Add the cooked chicken back to the skillet and stir to combine the vegetables and chicken.
Add the panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and olive oil to a bowl.
Stir to combine then sprinkle evenly over the chicken and vegetables.
Place the skillet in the oven for 5 minutes to crisp up the topping and melt the cheese.
Remove the skillet from the oven, season with additional salt and pepper if needed and enjoy!
Serving1cupCalories174kcal (9%)Carbohydrates6g (2%)Protein19g (38%)Fat8g (12%)Saturated Fat2g (10%)Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat4gTrans Fat0.01gCholesterol51mg (17%)Sodium178mg (7%)Potassium516mg (15%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar2g (2%)Vitamin A343IU (7%)Vitamin C16mg (19%)Calcium85mg (9%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.